What makes the Privacy+Security Forum, Spring Academy a unique event?
Our event distinguishes itself from others by:
- International Privacy+Security. bringing together global leaders in privacy and security.
- Rigor and Real Knowledge Development. being carefully designed so sessions have rigor and participants really learn.
Why combine privacy and security at the same event?
Privacy and security often exist in separate silos. Even privacy and security professionals who work down the hall from each other might rarely speak to each other. We must break down these silos because privacy and security are interrelated, and we cannot successfully achieve one without the other.
What is our vision of rigorous conference sessions?
Many events have countless sessions on hot topics, with participants often only coming away with fragments of knowledge. Participants often find conference sessions to be hit or miss, with many sessions containing only very high level and simple information.
- Long-Term Knowledge Development. Our sessions will be framed for long-term knowledge development. Our goal is to help participants deepen and enrich their knowledge. We aim to avoid having many “hot topics” sessions that often only provide a few small insights about issues from recent headlines.
- Valuable Takeaways. We will work with speakers to ensure that their sessions are of real value to participants, meet participant expectations, and provide practical takeaway points. We won’t leave this to chance.
Will CLE and CPE credits be available?
- CLE Credits. Yes. Participants shoud be eligible to receive CLE credits from most state bars and CPE credit with IAPP. However, CLE accreditation, including the number of credits awarded, is issued at the discretion of the individual state bars. Written materials are a key factor. We attempt to gather written material from speakers, but we ultimately depend upon speakers to submit these materials when asked. We cannot provide a guarantee that they will comply with our requests. The number of credits you will receive varies depending on how many sessions and workshops you attend. Although we are confident in our approval process, CLE is never guaranteed until sanctioned by the various bars. We will do our best to flag any sessions that may not be CLE-eligible. If you have any questions about the accreditation status of any specific sessions, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special note to Virginia attorneys: Please be aware of the state’s Oct. 31 deadline and the long approval process required by the Virginia bar. Do not assume that you will meet the current year’s Virginia deadline by attending our October event. Virginia CLE credit for our event may be used for the subsequent calendar year.
- CPE Credits for IAPP. Yes, you will be able to earn CPE credits for IAPP. We are an approved CPE provider with IAPP.
You might be able to obtain continuing professional education credits for other certifications. We recommend that you check first with the credentialing organization to make sure that our event will meet any required criteria and to know about the documentation you will need to submit.
We will have personnel at the event to assist you in documenting the sessions that you attended. To get credit, all you need to do is be sure to provide your name to our personnel taking down attendance at each session or sign any sign up sheets. Then, upon request, we will be able to generate documentation about the sessions you attended and the hours. We will maintain records pursuant to relevant bar and other requirements.
How does the event achieve greater rigor and knowledge development?
We are both professors with extensive teaching experience. We aim to take the best elements from higher education and apply them to conferences.
- Curricular Approach. Our goal is to create a coherent event, where key areas are covered. We see ourselves as trying to build a curriculum of sorts, a kind of miniature university. We aim to provide a thoughtful representation of topics, with plenty of useful sessions for the beginners as well as seasoned professionals.
- Longer Sessions and More Depth. We will have longer session times (between 1 and 3 hours) so topics can be covered in more detail.
- Written Materials and Reading in Advance. There will be written materials for sessions and assigned readings. These advance readings will provide greater focus for a session. Valuable session time need not be wasted covering preliminary information that can be covered in readings.
- Participant Feedback. We aim to collect a steady stream of participant input. We will share this information with the session organizers so speakers provide participants with the information they want.
- Scenario-Based Activities. We aim to encourage speakers to work through scenarios and be as concrete and pragmatic as possible.
- Our Involvement. We will work closely with speakers to identify in advance the learning objectives and takeaways from each session.
Who should attend?
- Privacy Professionals
- Security Professionals
- Chief Information Officers
- Law Firm Attorneys
- NGO / Think Tank
This event is for everyone! Different sessions will be designed for different types of participants, but there will be valuable material for beginners, experienced professionals and very seasoned professionals. The Forum will be of value to anyone desiring to improve his or her knowledge of privacy and security.
Why should I participate?
- This event brings together global leaders in privacy and security.
- For privacy professionals: Learn about security and technology.
- For security professionals: Learn about privacy and regulation.
- Curriculum-based design of event will close gaps in your knowledge base.
- The event is tailored based on the reports of attendees in advance about what they most want to learn.
- The organizers, Daniel Solove and Paul Schwartz, have decades of experience in privacy and security law. Each has organized dozens of events which have received superlative reviews. If you haven’t attended one of their events, ask someone who has.
- This event is designed to be of value to you. The organizers want to know what you want to learn and will help you gain that knowledge.
What does the Admission Fee include?
The admission fee includes all the sessions and materials prepared by the Organizing Committee. It does not include the cost of travel and hotel. Visit the Registration page for all pricing categories.
Do I need to book my own hotel room?
All conference attendees are responsible for their conference travel and hotel arrangements. A limited number of rooms have been reserved at a preferred rate. Visit the Registration page for details.
What is the dress code?
Business casual attire is suggested for all conference functions, sessions, and receptions. Formal attire is not required. Prepare for a great networking experience in a casual business atmosphere.